Ever felt intimidated by the fancy lingo used by professionals during a wine tasting? This list should make you feel better.
- Horse sweat. One of our favourites (and our inspiration for this blog) coined by a fellow wine industry professional during a tasting at Holland Marsh Wineries.
- Dirty mushrooms. Another favourite (especially with steak, risotto or stuffed…).
- Barnyard. You might have heard of this one. Commonly attributed to the Pinot Noir grape, this aroma family actually belongs to a yeast strain called brettanomyces1.
- Fresh can of tennis balls. Ever seen the movie SOMM?
- Also, pool toys.
- Band-Aid. (See also: Wine is rumoured to provide temporary relief from minor injuries. The theory suggests that, because it tastes so good, you forget what was bothering you.)
- Bacon. Our hungriest guest ever found that all of our wines had notes of bacon.
- Wet slate. Please drink responsibly. We don’t want you to find out what this really tastes like.
1 Stop reading footnotes! This blog is for fun 🙂